- Dit activiteit is voorbij.
Dutch Grassroots Movements
3 september - 18:00 tot 20:30
Dutch Grassroots Movements is a side event of Leiden Shorts, which explores current emergencies in relation to multicultural identities in the Netherlands.
Dutch Grassroots Movements | Society: what are pressing issues for a diverse and inclusive society?
Grassroots movements have shaped society from time immemorial. Whenever the priorities and views of governments do not align with those of civil society, individuals get together and confront their problems as a community. What are some of the currently pressing issues for Dutch society? And how are they approached by civil society? This event brings together founders of projects, movements and platforms contributing to a more inclusive, diverse and just society.
This event is about the struggle and achievements of different grassroots movements. There will be a panel discussion between 3 speakers who will speak about the reason and value of grassroots movement for the dutch multicultural society in general and about their fight against anti Asian-, anti Muslim and anti Black racism.
- Rui Jun Luong: Rui is a multidisciplinary designer and initiator of Asian Raisins, an anti-racism organization and media platform that makes social problems visible and open to discussion through appealing and proactive campaigns.
- Nawal Mustafa: Nawal is a Ph.D. candidate at the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam. Her Ph.D. research focuses on the historical regulation of interracialized relationships in the U.K. in 1950-1970. Before her Ph.D., Nawal worked for Amnesty International, Humanity in Action, and Critical Mass. She is also active as a board member for Bureau Clara Wichman, a legal feminist fund and De GoedeZaak, a campaign platform for socioeconomic issues. Last year together with three other activists Nawal initiated SPEAK, a platform for Muslim women and their fight against racism, Islamophobia and sexism.
- Mariam El Maslouhi: Mariam is podcast producer of Dipsaus, Fufu & Dadels and other podcasts by women and for women of colour. She is active within Kick Out Zwarte Piet in The Hague and real outspoken if it comes to racism.
- Dionne Abdoelhafiezkhan: Dionne is born in The Netherlands with Caribbean and French roots. She embedded her passion for equality and social justice within the organization IZI Solutions: a social innovation bureau that fights against racial and social inequality and works towards a righteous and equal society in which the diversity of every individual is respected and appreciated. One of the social issues that IZI has generated national awareness of is racial profiling by law enforcement officers. They do this with the project Controle Alt Delete.